Thursday, May 12, 2011

Saving on a Hospital Bill

I have been having major issues with my lower back. I missed yesterday's post because I was busy getting x-rays and having way too much fun filling prescriptions. (kidding) With that experience, I thought of a great tip for saving on medical expenses.

It doesn't ever hurt to ask for financial aide at a hospital. Even if you can pay your bills and have insurance, you can see if there is a way to lower the out-of-pocket expenses. I had to do that when I had an ER visit in February. I brought up my financial aide approval yesterday with the lady at registration. What was going to cost me $450 oop right there ended up costing me $0.

The hospital won't grant you assistance if they don't think you need it, so don't try to take advantage of the system. There is no reason, however, for you not to try if you really do need the help. Many people are not aware that this is even available and end up not seeking treatment because they can't afford it. Don't let that happen to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment